100,000 is a lot of people! Do we have to activate them all at once?
100,000 is an exciting number of Angelenos to get involved in local issues. And it’ll be no easy feat. We anticipate that the number of people activated will occur over two years and will take many forms. Some people will just visit a website to learn about a new cause. Others will receive and open an email, others will actually click on something and show up to a meeting, and others will become super volunteers or community organizers. We anticipate that successful activations will create a clear ladder of engagement that take people from unengaged to superstar activists, organizers, volunteers, etc.
How will you measure the number of people activated?
Great question! We’re leaning on applicants to define how they plan to reach Angelenos and the number of people that will be reached via their various engagement strategies.
Why did you start the My LA2050 Activation Challenge?
The My LA2050 Activation Challenge represents a pivot from the past four My LA2050 grants challenges. This challenge is focused on building, organizing, and supporting a united LA2050 community to take action and produce the LA we all dream of.
We’ve been inspired by the sparks of activism we’ve seen, but by traditional measures, LA has lacked civic engagement on a local level. We’re hoping that this activation challenge can help address barriers to civic engagement and create mechanisms to direct energy into local change.
Are there restrictions on what the activations can address?
LA2050 can only fund projects that further charitable and educational purposes within the meaning of IRC section 501(c)(3). Thus, whether your organization is a nonprofit or for-profit entity, all activities for which you seek LA2050 grant funding must comply with section 501(c)(3). Please also carefully review the detailed rules for the activation challenge.
I have feedback on the LA2050 goals. How can I share that with you?
We want your feedback! Email us at [email protected] with your feedback.
We want Angelenos to see themselves as part of the solutions we need to improve our region. And we want to tap into the expertise of the organizations, agencies, and companies who have great ideas about how to boost engagement on local issues.
Can I apply more than once?
Technically there can be multiple entries from the same organization, so long as the submissions are unique and in different categories. However, we would recommend consolidating your resources, collaborators, and supporters and submitting one awesome proposal!
What are the benefits of applying?
Beyond the potential to receive funds to address an issue you’re passionate about, we also believe that applying to this challenge will provide additional benefits including:
- The opportunity to participate in a first-of-its-kind regional effort
- Increasing awareness and exposure around an issue important for LA’s future
- Helping to create or crystallize an activation, civic engagement, or mobilization idea
- Increased understanding of the LA social impact landscape
- The opportunity to cultivate and build new relationships with peers
- The chance to build a coalition of committed Angelenos and organizations to support an important issue for LA
- The opportunity to learn how to tell a compelling story about your organization’s impact
- Inspiring the creation of videos, photos, tweets, and pithy messaging to promote your proposal
- Visibility in front of other foundations and potential alternative funding sources. Past challenges have resulted in $2M in grants from outside funding using the LA2050 platform for their grantmaking
What kinds of activations are you looking to support?
We’re open! But here are some ideas about what we’re looking for:
- Bold efforts that will produce measurable wins for the LA region
- Activations with clear pathways for Angelenos to get involved
- A spirit of collaboration and desire to unify and amplify collective efforts
- Clear focus on inclusion, diversity of voices, and equity
- Efforts that not only produce positive results but are also focused on increasing local engagement and civic participation
- A desire to test new strategies
What are some tips for submitting ideas to the My LA2050 Activation Challenge?
Collaborate. We are eager to see folks working together to improve Los Angeles.
Think about impact. Be imaginative and audacious. We want to hear your most ambitious ideas – but we also want to know that your activation is feasible, implementable, and that it could impact the LA2050 goals and metrics outlined by a community of Angelenos.
Share how your activation will impact the LA2050 goal you are focusing on. For example, if you’ve chosen LA is the best place to learn, you might describe how your activation will improve graduation rates; if you’ve chosen LA is the best place to connect, you might explain how your activation will increase voting rates or volunteerism.
We want to see that you’ve considered how to create a ladder of engagement for Angelenos. Show in your submission that you’re thinking about someone’s journey from uninformed to an activist for social change.
Be sure to explain why you think the activation strategy and engagement methods are the best course of action for impacting the goal and metrics.
Videos can help quickly articulate your project or your organization’s mission. To include a video, use a YouTube URL. If you don’t have a video, be sure to include a high-resolution photo that represents your idea or organization. Photos should be in JPG, PNG, or GIF format, at least 570 × 345 pixels. We suggest limiting attachment files to 5 MB each.
Please note that when uploading documents file names containing special characters ([email protected]#$%^&*()) are not allowed and file names should be less than or equal to 30 characters.
Applicants should not expect to be able to revise their applications after the submission date.
Your application goes through a moderation process, and will show up on the site if it is approved. If we have questions about your application, we will be in touch.
Check out the LA2050 Goals, the LA2050 Report, and our most recent metrics update for additional information.
Send us your questions!
If you have any questions that aren’t answered on this page, please send us an email at [email protected].