Submit Your Proposal
Starting March 1, 2018, you can submit your proposal on this website.
Applicants are encouraged to:
- Think boldly and creatively about the proposed activation
- Ensure that the activation creates clear and accessible engagement pathways for Angelenos
- Consider the varied methods of engaging communities. Engagement opportunities may include, but are not limited to: policy advocacy, volunteering, participating in political processes, trainings, consumer-driven efforts like buycotts and boycotts, digital activism, creation or implementation of new technology to drive engagement.
- If your organization plans to engage in any activities that would constitute lobbying for tax law purposes, please be sure to provide an allocated budget with your application. LA2050 can only fund the non-lobbying portion of your project budgets.
Apply between Thursday, March 1, 2018 (9am Pacific Time) and Friday, March 30, 2018 (5pm Pacific Time) on this website.
Your application will go through a moderation process to ensure that your project adheres to all challenge rules. Applications that make it through the initial vetting will be published on the My LA2050 Activation Challenge website on Monday, April 9, 2018 to allow the public to read about and engage with the proposals. An evaluation committee will review and score all applications and select 25 finalists which will be announced on Monday, May 21, 2018.
From Tuesday, June 19, 2018 (9am Pacific Time) through Friday, June 29, 2018 (5pm Pacific Time), we’ll open the finalists’ submissions to public voting. Rally your colleagues and friends to get behind your effort and join the public in selecting the winners. Winners will be announced on Monday, July 9, 2018.
View the full timeline.
- Submit proposal
- Moderation period
- Proposals on website
- Finalists announced
- Vote on finalists
- Winners announced
To apply, organizations will:
- Outline how their activation will make progress on the LA2050 goals and metrics, including clearly defining a core issue, the desired solution to address the issue, intended outcome for the activation
- Provide a plan that describes how the organization will engage the public to advance the LA2050 goals and metrics
- Clearly articulate the engagement strategies and tools that will be employed
- Identify coalition partners involved and their respective roles. Collaboration is highly encouraged!
- Submit a detailed budget explaining how funds will be used across the two year grant period
- Detail any additional non-financial assistance needed from LA2050 to make the activation successful
What are the rules for submitting a proposal to the My LA2050 Activation Challenge?
- The My LA2050 Grants Challenge is open for submissions from Thursday, March 1, 2018 (9am Pacific Time) through Friday, March 30, 2018 (5pm Pacific Time).
- In order to submit a proposal, log in and complete the application form.
- US-based non-profit, for-profit, social enterprises and government agencies with projects serving Los Angeles County are eligible to apply.
- Winning projects must be completed and the grant award must be expended within 24 months.
- Ongoing projects are eligible for submission.
- Previous applicants and winners of LA2050 grant programs may reapply.
- Evaluation committee: In each goal category, the evaluation committee will select five finalists.
- Public vote: The public will vote on the five finalists in each goal category. The proposal in each goal category garnering the most votes will be a winner.
- Projects will be featured on this site and public voting will be open from Tuesday, June 19, 2018 (9am Pacific Time) through Friday, June 29, 2018 (5pm Pacific Time).
- Applications will be selected using the following criteria: impact on the LA2050 goal and metrics, overall quality of submission, ability to mobilize Angelenos, feasibility, and collaborative spirit.
- In order to vote in the 2018 My LA2050 Activation Challenge, participants must register for a free account and sign in. Use either social sign-in via Facebook or Google or an email account to register. Users will be emailed a link to click in order to validate the address.
- Finalists in the My LA2050 Activation Challenge are expected to participate in a public event to be held at the start of the voting period to present their proposals to the public.
- Winners of the My LA2050 Activation Challenge will be grantees of the Goldhirsh Foundation and will be required to participate in at least one check-in with a LA2050 team member per month.
- Read all the rules
If you have any questions about the information on this page, please review our FAQs or send us an email at [email protected].